December 2014 Commodore Message
- Published: Tuesday, 16 December 2014 13:57
- Written by CYCCM website admin
From the Commodore:
It is hard to believe that the 2014 CYCCM season is over. With the holidays fast approaching, this is a great time for reflection. For me, as it relates to our club, here is what comes to mind:
1. How thankful I am to Immediate Past Commodore (IPC) Brian Ackerman (and Shannon), for their amazing service to the club over Brian’s time as Flag Officer.
2. How grateful I am to Vice Commodore Barry Sullivan and Rear Commodore Annmarie Long for all that they have done since taking on their new Flag Officer duties. We have had some neat events this Fall and Winter (Octoberfest, the Halloween Party - “Batman and Robin” showed up as you can see from the newsletter photo, the Oyster Roast and more) thanks to Barry and Patti, and there is a super social schedule well underway for 2015. Annmarie has stepped right into her new duties as Rear Commodore without missing a beat - including making sure we had a great team to get the outside of the club ready for winter with Dock Day, and all her planning for the sailing schedule for 2015.
3. Remembering that it is our Committee Chairs who sacrifice so much of their time for the Club, and truly head up the key functional areas that allow this club to “run” - Finance Committee Chair Mike Yeager, Operations Committee Chair PC Leslie Fog, Facilities Chair John Barney, Long Range Planning Chair Robert Bredehoft, Sailing Chair Cookie Wilsey, Membership Chair Gail Wilsey, Social Chair Patti Sullivan, and By - Laws and Nominating Chair IPC Brian Ackerman. That list doesn’t include all the sub - committees and a whole host of other volunteers that allow this club to be what it is.
4. How much I appreciate the Social Committee I worked with over the past 2 years as Vice Commodore: Chrissy McShane, Debbie Yeager, Brandy White, Barb Atherton, Carol York, and my wife, Lora Jo. They, and some other key individuals, the Fogs, the Hardins, the Joyces, the Kings, the Kummerle’s, the McCauleys, the Millers, the Padussis’s, the Rapps , the Rementers , and RC Annmarie Long, headed up our key events, while I was Vice Commodore.
5. How lucky we are to have Chef Harry and Kristin on our team; and
6. How much I appreciate Treasurer PC Sandy Thomson, Secretary Nancy Sayre, and the entire Board of Directors (Chrissy McShane, John Barney, Jason Campbell, George Rementer, Cookie Wilsey, Bob Patillo, PC Leslie Fog, Mike Yeager and IPC Brian Ackerman) for their guidance and support.
There is a lot to be thankful for. And finally I appreciate all the input from a number of you on the CYCCM Marine Resources Project (which includes the Dredging project). Long Range Planning Chair Robert Bredehoft, along with Finance Chair Mike Yeager, have been doing most of the heavy lifting here, and they deserve our thanks. For those that have been able to attend one of our 2 Special Member Meetings - thank you. For the rest of our members I can assure you I will keep you informed as our options become clearer - look for my email blasts. The Flag Officers and Board clearly understand this is a big undertaking for the club, and we take that responsibility very seriously. I would encourage you to please ask questions and give your input. But we will need to take action at some time in the not too distant future if we are going to continue to be a viable sailing club - particularly for our offshore fleet.
Have a wonderful holiday and Christmas and I look forward to seeing you all in 2015 - hopefully starting with the Mid - Winter Ball in February!
Russ Dickhart, Commodore